Savage DRI broken in modular X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 11:47:16 UTC 2005

Joachim Frieben wrote:
> Running "strings /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 | grep X11R6"
> yields "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri" which seems to confirm
> my earlier conjecture.

Mesa is broken right now due to this, so DRI is also broken.  Getting
all of the X junk out of /usr/lib/X11 and into /usr/share/X11 is
currently one of my highest priorities however.  Second to that are
a number of other 'foo is nonfunctional' issues without reasonable
workarounds.

If someone would like to investigate this problem, and send me a patch
however, that might help get it fixed in time for test1, as it might
wait until test2 otherwise.  I assume it is probably something as
simple as passing a flag to the build script, or patching a file
or two, so it shouldn't be hard to fix.  Just not as high a priority
as other matters on the table currently.

Whatever you do though, do NOT point a symlink from the one directory
to another, or RPM will have a total fit when you upgrade, and
your system will be busted.

/me is already trying hard to dig modular X out of legitimate
dir/symlink packaging hell, and encourages users to not dig
themselves into it deeper.

Many thanks in advance to whomever fixes it first. ;o)