X11-forwarding over SSH didn't work!

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 12:19:56 UTC 2005

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> Subj, until i symlinked /usr to usr/X11R6
>
> Looks like someone hardcoded xauth to
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth
>
> Frankly speaking I think that's a good idea to make this symlink, until
> all issues, concerned with modular Xorg, will be resolved.

Symlinks to directories can cause a lot of problems when future packages
reverse directions.  I am currently facing a big dir/symlink problem in
the modular X packages which is going to be difficult to resolve.

Rawhide may have changed its name to "Fedora Developement", but it is
still very much "raw" hide.  Expect that some things will break from
time to time, and that some things will stay broken until they are
fixed.

Feel free to hack around problems on your own system if you desire,
until a problem is fixed properly, but you will not see this type
of hack come from my X packages.  There are a lot of software out
there that put their files into /usr/X11R6 that are not a part
of X, and while we've fixed most of the ones that come with the OS,
we have no control over the various 3rd party packages out there
that violate the directory structure.

Consider the fact that various packages on people's systems do have
files installed by rpm in /usr/X11R6.  Ignoring the fact that rpm
will not allow you to replace a directory (/usr/X11R6) with a
symbolic link for the minute - what would happen to all of the
applications that were installed via rpm, which have files in
/usr/X11R6, if all of a sudden, /usr/X11R6 became a symlink that
pointed to /usr?

How would you implement this?

rm -rf /usr/X11R6 ; ln -s /usr /usr/X11R6

Like that?  That would make a lot of happy users I'm sure.  ;o)

If you require a stable OS, use Fedora Core 4 please, and wait until
rawhide has had some of the "raw" shaken out of it.  That is generally
around test3 or so.  Alternatively, wait until Fedora Core 5 final
is released.