Build error on devel: libSM dependency

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 12:38:13 UTC 2005

Michel Salim wrote:
> One of my package, grhino, fails to compile on devel because libSM has
> been split from xorg into its own package, and none of the current
> build dependencies include it.
>
> The package (grhino) currently pulls its build dependencies from
> desktop-file-utils (to handle the .desktop file), libgnomeui-devel and
> scrollkeeper ; libgnomeui-devel depends on gtk2-devel, which in turns
> (as of FC-4) depends on XFree86-devel.

If you find a package depending on XFree86-devel, or on
xorg-x11-devel, please file a bug report against that package
in the relevent bugzilla, or if i is an upstream package from
some software project, please report the bug to them.

XFree86-devel and xorg-x11-devel no longer exist in Fedora Core.
Software that links to X libraries, must now have a separate
BuildRequires added for each individual X library that the package
uses, in the form:

BuildRequires: libSM-devel
BuildRequires: libX11-devel

> So which package should I file a bug against - how are the X.org
> dependencies supposed to be handled in the upcoming, modularized X
> packaging?

Each library is in it's own package, which has the same name as the
library itself (except for libXss, which is package "libXScrnSaver"
as upstream decided to name one library tarball different just to
make things confusing).

So, you need to BuildRequires: lib<name>-devel for each library
you need.

Hope this helps.