15 packages needing updates for modular X.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 12:44:37 UTC 2005

Ralph Loader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran the following to look for programs & libraries referencing the
> old /usr/X11R6/ directories:
>

>   find /usr/bin /usr/lib /usr/libexec -type f |
>   while read X
>   do
>      strings "$X" | grep /X11R6 && echo -e "**** $X\n\n"
>   done | tee X11R6.log
>

> and then went through the output by hand looking for things that
> actually need fixing (lots of things, e.g., search paths, are harmless
> to still contain /usr/X11R6).
>
> I came up with the following list.  I don't have every Fedora RPM
> installed, so there are probably others.
>

>    a2ps ghostscript htmlview openoffice libxklavier mesa ncurses openssh
>    pyxf86config-0.3.22-1 SDL ttmkfdir valgrind xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7-1
>    xscreensaver
[SNIP]
> libxklavier:
>
> -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/%s.xml
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/%s
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp
> **** /usr/lib/libxklavier.so.10.0.0
[SNIP]

This one is actually quite funny.  It seems that libxklavier people seem
hell bent on hard coding the name and location of the xkb rules file
directly into the library, despite the fact that this causes things to
break so often.

What's funnier, is that when we transitioned from XFree86 to X.Org, and
libxklavier broke, I wrote and supplied the code to have libxklavier
query the X server directly using the xkb extension to get this
information, instead of hard coding it in the library, however it seems
nobody cared to use my patch to permanently fix it to work with
every X server that supports xkb.

I totally feel no sympathy for this broken library.  ;o)  Maybe I'll
move the xkb data files around randomly every OS release just to
watch libxklavier keep breaking.  Oh wait, I do that already.  ;o)

I very strongly recommend that libxklavier be updated _upstream_ this
time to query the xkbrules file from the X server using the xkb
extension.  Very.

Very very.