Savage DRI broken in modular X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 13:19:19 UTC 2005

Joachim Frieben wrote:
> A manual symlink "/usr/lib/dri" -> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri"
> actually saved my day ;o)
> "DRI" is working again. Now, one can have a relaxed look at the
> bug itself. Btw, the monolithic X.org RC2 package contains a
> "Mesa" version which is more recent, tagged as version "6.4.1".
> This update should be cheap to incorporate into "rawhide".

There's a neat surprise in store for you.  ;o)  Whenever I fix
the mesa package, and you upgrade to the new package, your
system will probably break due to that symlink.  ;o)

If I were you, I would flag your yum.conf to exclude the
mesa-libGL package from the list of updates, and then watch
the lists for indication that mesa is fixed, then remove the
symlink, tweak your yum config, and update.

Just an idea. ;o)

> Finally, one might also consider a sort of "compat-xorg-x11"
> package to accomodate the needs of older packages, which
> might only exist in binary form, e.g. "Mathematica".

Bwahahahahaha!  ;oP

> PS: "X/OpenGL Maintainence List (xgl-maint at redhat.com)"
>                    ^^^^
>
>      Ouch! Could somebody have a look at this? I am not a native
>      speaker, but this appears to be quite exotic. This usually
>      writes "Maintenance", doesn't it?

Illiteracy runs rampant, even at Red Hat!  ;o)  Fortunately,
it wasn't I who created this internal mailing list, so I get
to laugh and point fingers with the rest of you at whoever it
was.   ;oP