init: API

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 20 16:21:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 07:20 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Sunday, November 20, 2005 11:28 AM +0200 Gilboa Davara
> <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>
> > Let me see if got you base idea.
>
> Nope. You were complaining that XML was too heavyweight and you needed to
> mount /usr to do anything with it. I simply pointed out that an entire
> distro, with GUI, fits in a small space. Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

I wasn't the one complaining about missing /usr. (though the original
poster did have some valid points.)
Never the less, your solution is less then ideal.
In most cases, I don't have physical access to the target machine.
I access both Grub and the machine console over a serial link.
The service manager must be allowed to operate with /bin only. Nothing
else.
(Let alone fixing it if things go terribly wrong.)

So, again, if you are going the XML route, you you must find a solution
for an initrd and/or /usr-less machine.

Gilboa