Python incompatibility

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:14:16 UTC 2005

On 11/20/05, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> The copy of Python 2.4 shipped with Fedora Core 4 is configured to use
> 4-byte unicode instead of 2-byte, which is the upstream default. Modifying
> this changes the exported API of libpython and breaks compatibility with
> other distributions which is, needless to say, a Very Bad Thing.
>
> Does anybody know why this is done? Is there any chance of fixing this
> with a future version of the Python packages?

It's a binary incompatible change, not a source incompatible one, right?
There is no promise that you can run binaries made on another distro.

The use of 4byte UTF has come in handy for me a number of times,
without it you can't handle characters outside of the BMP, this really
should be the default upstream.