init: API

Avi Kivity avi at argo.co.il
Sun Nov 20 20:17:57 UTC 2005

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> So far all init scripts are written in Bash, and the ones I'm familiar
> with use simple variable=value pairs, using Bash syntax. Is that
> sufficient? What can't be expressed in that way?

hierarchical configuration. multiple instances of the same service. most
complex services have their own config files so the complexity is pushed
there.

> The hierarchical configuration I've seen has been in the networking
> scripts, and is encoded in the filesystem, using filenames or
> directory trees to represent configuration nodes. What's the drawback
> of that, if any?

dependencies not expressed explicitly, messy config files.

for example, my ppp0 depends on eth0, and a potential vpn would depend
on ppp0. there is no way to express that with the current syntax. there
is special support for bonding, etc.

also it's horribly slow:

[root at blast ~]# time /sbin/service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... done.

                                                           [  OK  ]

real    0m11.043s
user    0m0.656s
sys     0m0.776s

1.4 seconds of cpu time to issue a few ioctls and send a couple of
packets (2.4GHz Athlon64).