some artwork needs to be replaced...?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Fri Nov 18 20:13:39 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/18/05, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:
>
> I find them functional "enough" and good looking "enough" (except for
> some minor defects that I have already filed bugs for but do not
> require the cursors to be replaced with a different concept). I don't
> see why colorless mouse icons are automatically better than colored

well, first of all, the chance that a b/w mouse cursor theme will blend
well with your background of choice is better that with the blue cursors.
I realize that I can just change it, but that's slightly beside my point
that we should make sure Fedora looks as appealing as possible by default.

> opinions differ and there will be no right answer.

Very true! But that should still mean that we should aim at having
something that most people would like by default - How about a fedora
logo competition! That would be a fair way to find the best logo
suitable for fedora.

> And i certainly do not think that the red hat logo on the desktop that
> we have enjoyed for so long, is any more appropriate or even more
> informational than a separate fedora project logo. I think its very
> important and very informational to be able to distinguish which
> distribution you are using at a glance at the default desktop even
> with windows open obscuring the wallpaper. The fedora logo on the
> gnome panel finally makes a clearly visible distinction that someone
> is on a fedora desktop and not on a rhel system.  As a matter of
> function and informative content.. any fedora specific logo is a
> change for the better.  And there is absolutely no point in arguing
> about the style of the logo.. matters of style have no right answer
> and the style of the logo isn't going to change.

I am all for Fedora having a distict logo. I'm also for Fedora looking
as appealing as possible by default. I believe that the logo should have
the same high-quality look that the rest of the default icons have.

And remember - I'm not interested in just having things my-way(tm) -
Thats not the point of this thread.

/Thomas