Broken video drivers in new modular X

Sadda Teh saddateh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:44:08 UTC 2005

Hi all, just writing to say that on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop (latest
BIOS) with ATI Mobility M4 video the modular X vesa and r128 drivers do not
work properly. When X is configured to use the vesa driver it comes up, but
the picture is distorted (looks like 2 vertical desktops overlapping one
another at various points, also colors are messed up). As for trying to use
the r128 driver, X cannot even load when configured this way, it fails with
an error along the lines of the r128_drv.so could not be opened. Has anyone
else seen issues like this with the new modular X packages? Should I file
bugs for these in x.org <http://x.org>'s bugzilla? Thanks.