rhn-applet replacement?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 02:15:02 UTC 2005

> dragoran wrote:
> > pup is going to replace up2date in FC5 (already included in test1).
> > but what about rhn-applet (which was broken in fc4) ? will feature
> > releases of pup(in fc5) provide a similiar applet?
> >
> Yum is a up2date alternative. Pup is the alternative for rhn-applet and
> not all of the planned features are implemented in it yet. So hang on.

Erm, _huh_?  pup is _NOT_ the replacement for the rhn-applet.
Similarly, yum is not entirely analagous to up2date given that the
primary mode of up2date use is graphical which yum doesn't have.

pup provides a graphical frontend to yum for getting updates and we have
some ideas on notification of updates being available (which is
analagous to the rhn-applet).  This will likely take advantage of pup
much like rhn-applet uses up2date.  The hope is that we'll get there for
FC5, but it's largely dependent on time.

Jeremy