'everything' install option in FC5test1

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 05:50:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 23:56 +0200, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> It seems that with Everything install option gone in FC5 test1, one
> cannot install all packages from CD. I'm still downloading it so I
> cannot test by myself yet, but Jeremy's reply suggests it won't be added
> back (how are the package groups handled with multiple repositories?).

Everything is a bit of a disaster in a lot of ways.  Some people think
that it shouldn't include language-specific packages.  Some people think
it should.  With multiple repositories, should it include all of the
packages from all of the repositories?  What happens if there are
conflicts?  And that's in addition to mattdm's helpful comments in the
bug :)

> In previous Fedora versions, there was also the Details button for a
> package group, is this gone too? There one could have manually selected
> additional packages, and this is a solution.

As the screen says, it's just a temporary placeholder for now :)
Details will be coming back, although not exactly as it was before.

> If both these options are gone, then should the packages which aren't
> installed by default if all groups are selected be moved to Fedora
> Extras?

In a lot of cases, packages which aren't listed in the comps file at all
(or aren't a dependency of something) perhaps _should_ move to Extras.
In addition, I think there probably are packages which should move
somewhere into the comps file.  File bugs against comps for things that
should be listed and aren't.

Jeremy