status of up2date and rhn-applet

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Sun Nov 27 09:53:33 UTC 2005

> Inter-repo dependencies do exist.  In particular with Livna and Fedora
> Extras.  Now we can talk about Livna being full of forbidden items all
> we want, but the fact is that it gets used and used a lot.  Other such
> deps happen as well with other popular 3rd party repos.

Thanks for your clarification. I was referring to the use of "pup"
and "up2date-gnome" as pure update tools. Updated add-on packages for
FC <rel> should not depend on updates of the core, that's what I meant.
For example "updates" and "updates-testing" repositories will be mutually
independent. They might of course require the availablity of the release
core repository for satisfying dependencies of updated packages which,
of course, should always be present.
As a matter of fact, there is a fundamental problem of not having the
same structure in Fedora Extras as in Fedora Core where packages are
split between "os", "updates" and "updates-testing".
Finally, I do not see any compelling reason for abandoning "up2date-gnome"
or at least its GUI yet. Any basic user can simply confirm the default
settings without worrying about details. The experienced user will
appreciate the additional information and make customizations at will.