suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Sun Nov 27 22:27:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 16:46 -0500, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 19:17 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > So "someone in Red Hat makes a decision" is not the problem. Unclear
> > criteria, lack of "what is suitable functionality for core" policy etc
> > is a problem (you can argue how big a problem it is of course).
>
> In a strictly "functional" sense, all that *needs* to be in Core are:
> 1) those packages that enable network/Internet access and installation
> of more packages
> 2) those packages that people will likely use on systems that will never
> have network/Internet access

I don't agree with you. For me, Core needs to be a Core linux distro.
That includes a desktop, browser, media player, mail client and an
office suite. Eg core needs to satisfy the basic goals a target audience
has with a distro.

In addition I think core needs the basic tools that developers would use
to develop extras like packages. Eg a compiler set for the common
languages, make, patch and other supporting stuff like that. (this also
follows from being self consistent and self-hosting, I think Core needs
to be self hosting as well)