Yum and SRPMs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 00:49:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:40:15AM +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Do you think there is a fundamental problem with people being able to get
> the sources easilly? Is yum fundamentally flawed for this? Is it too much
> work to put in yum?
> We might appreciate decisions better if we know why they are made in a
> certain way.

It's been discussed over and over; that's why Seth is being so abrupt. The
archives to this list and the yum list are public, so you can certainly find
out why they've been made.

The short answer is that it violates the principle of "do one thing and do
it well". Adding features like this clutters up yum's interface, not to
mention the internal code. Having it separate is cleaner.