Yum and SRPMs

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Nov 28 01:22:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> It's really best discussed on appropriate list-  yum-devel.
>
> But to the point  - we've discussed it there before. The reason it
> should not be in the yum program itself but in an add-on tool is that it
> unnecessarily clutters up the main program.

Okay. Thanks for the information.

Not that agree. The above sounds correct from the yum developers point
of view, but fails to take into account the enduser who will expect to
be able to use "the package manager" for such tasks.

There also seems to be no easy way for the user to figure out an
additional tool is needed. Perhaps "yum install foo.src" and "yum
-source install foo" could return some helpful information on how
people are supposed to obtain the source in a somewhat automatic way.

I'm sure that does not add *that* much complexity to yum :)

Paul