Yum and SRPMs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 02:09:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 08:48:12PM -0500, Sadda Teh wrote:
> 1. Download src rpms and dependent libraries required for successfully
> rebuilding the requested source download(s)
> 2. Extract the the source tarball to some standard location so the developer
> can cd to that dir and be able to immediately do a ./configure && make
> without errors

Why do you assume that there's a source tarball at all? I think if you'll
look at what's inside a lot of source RPMs, you'll find your #2 is a lot
harder than you think.

#1 is also harder than it may appear at first glance. However, there's been
some good work at addressing it. Check out "mock":
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock>

But for #1: what you want is "mock".