status of up2date and rhn-applet

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 11:53:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:39:22PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:33:29PM +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
>
> > You can use the sha/md5sum digest info to match between the rpms
> > installed in rpmdb (/var/lib/rpm/) and the rpm packages from the
> > repositories. This will only work if the repos still have the older
> > rpms listed though.
> > Is smart storing addon information in its own database?
>
> smart employs scoring, on a package and on a repository basis. Score
> external repositories lower than FC/FE, and you will get no replacements
> of Core/Extra packages.
>
> Yes, there are cases where this does not work as intended.

Ok, that should be possible to implement with repodata handling,
but then you don't keep a package within a lower score repo, but
will update it again to FC/FE level if newer packages show up there, right?

Good we now have Fedora Extras, work on the boundaries to Fedora Core
and try to keep the repo sane. Implementing all possible ideas on how
to update systems with (broken) repos is a difficult task. ;-)
I am still for adding a few warnings or giving guidance to users if the
checks are relatively easy todo.

greetings,

Florian La Roche