Modern Update System

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Nov 29 00:46:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 19:13 -0500, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there any work being done for a modern update system that would
> only download what is needed instead of an entirely new rpm?  I'm sure
> everyone has seen the updaet system that Firefox has.  It's beautiful.
> How is that going to work on Fedora Core 5?  Is it disabled?
> Eitherway, such an update system on Linux would be a watershed moment
> perhaps.  A grand slam.  It is a bit ridiculous that FC4 updates have
> possibly mounted up to 10 GB for me..  maybe an exaggeration but you
> know what I'm getting  at.
>
> So any such project out there?

Been discussed ad-nasuem.  (did I spell that right?)

Please look at the archives, I think 'patch' and 'rpm' were both in the
subject line.

Bottom line, mirrors say no as they would have to maintain all sorts of
extra content and tools to figure out what deltas a client would need
for a given state of a particular rpm.  Say one package has 4 updates
available after the install, well a client could be updating from 4
different states.  The install state, and the 3 previous updated states.
Thats 4 different deltas that would have to be available.  We're talking
about a huge amount of wasted space.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)