fc5 goals

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Tue Nov 29 02:22:38 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Actually I for example don't use KDE, and don't care if it's in core or
> extras.

As a system administrator, I'd much prefer if FC remained neutral
wrt desktop choices.

Some of my users prefer KDE, some Gnome.  I don't want to start
supporting two distributions to satisfy them all, so if FC kicked
KDE out of core, I'd be forced to switch to another distro.

> What I do care about is Gnome depending on arts.

Actually, I dislike both arts and esd.  In the past, I've had to find
lots of workarounds for sound problems caused by them.

Can't these darn desktops just play through ALSA without using
a sound server, like all normal applications do?

> I'd rather people spent more time untangling this kind of stupid
> cross-dependencies than arguing what needs to be made second-class
> citizen.

I'd add that kde depends on esound, which is also unfortunate.
The desktops should be independent of each other, or at least
based on a common infrastructure (which is what freedesktop has
been trying to achieve).

> DVD burners and broadband will be generalized before Core shrinks to a
> single CD anyway.

In my experience, DVD burners and readers are already much
more common than plain CD recorders and readers.  Computers
with no DVD readers are usually too old and slow to run a
full featured Linux desktop comfortably, and if the current
trend of adding features and complexity continues, it will
become more and more true over time.

I'm all in favor of shrinking the core distribution to save
bandwidth, but the main distribution focus should be to fit
everything into a single DVD, not a single CD.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/