fc5 goals

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Nov 29 02:33:34 UTC 2005

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Actually, I dislike both arts and esd.  In the past, I've had to find
> lots of workarounds for sound problems caused by them.
>
> Can't these darn desktops just play through ALSA without using
> a sound server, like all normal applications do?

+100

> I'd add that kde depends on esound, which is also unfortunate.
> The desktops should be independent of each other, or at least
> based on a common infrastructure (which is what freedesktop has
> been trying to achieve).

What if the Fedora Installer was able to install KDE by downloading it from
Extras rather than from the CD ?

> I'm all in favor of shrinking the core distribution to save
> bandwidth, but the main distribution focus should be to fit
> everything into a single DVD, not a single CD.

+1. While it's important to have a consistent policy on what should or should
not be part of Fedora Core vs Extras, i do have a feeling that too much time
and energy is being spent on a non-issue, energy that could probably be better
spent elsewhere...

-denis