What about smartpm?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Nov 29 21:50:06 UTC 2005

> Can I not reverse this argument to state:
>
> Yeah, and this is still unsafe, because upgrading is inherently,
> implicitly unsafe.

upgrading isn't inherently unsafe. Especially when there are KNOWN
exploits in older versions.

> 1. you can upgrade into a vulnerability
You are unlikely to upgrade into a KNOWN vulnerability.

> 2. upgrading often breaks, since newer versions can do things in %pre
> that make upgrading to a workable state impossible.

if this is true then it's a problem with:
 1. all pkg managers
 2. all distros

The point Icon was making is about smart's mechanism and it's ability to
downgrade as a solution.

That's why it is not equally valid.

-sv