Strange Gnome menu problem

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:48:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

I wouldn't usually email a list over such a trivial issue, but I have
been pulling my hair out trying to work out why one of the programs in
FC5t1 disappeared from the gnome menu after an update.

/usr/share/applications/gdmflexiserver.desktop exists, but for some
reason it's just being ignored. File permissions on it seem fine, and
there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the contents.

Copying or moving the file to
/usr/share/applications/gdmflexiserver2.desktop makes it appear in the
menu instantly. Putting it back makes it disappear again. Is there a
config file somewhere with a list of filenames to ignore or something?

Running `strace alacarte` shows that the .desktop file is being opened
and read, but even the menu editor ignores its presence.

I'm sure there's a simple solution. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
n0dalus.