Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 30 21:03:35 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 30 novembre 2005 à 15:49 -0500, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 21:44 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > The problem isn't packages, not really, it's all the crazy stuff about
> > > relabeling lvm partitions or  migrating major portions of
> > > infrastructure.
> >
> > Couldn't these bits be moved to a firstboot-like package ?
> >

> it's still a live system. Doing that on a live system is scary.

Then create package with a grub entry that boots on a ramdisk to perform
stuff.

The problem with anaconda is its wizard-like approach. As many wizards,
as soon as you deviate from the road the developper dreamed up for you,
things starts to fall apart.

Many useful anaconda tools are not available unless you tell the system
you're doing an upgrade.

And even when you're really doing an upgrade, if you have a problem at
any step everything fails.

If your bios supports booting on your drive, you can start anaconda,
except it will try to re-load the drive with the linux driver so you can
end up with a funny situation where you booted from a CD that can't find
itself later

Ditto for X11 support.

However when you're upgrading the upgraded system already knows how
boot, or how to drive the X11 system, so there's absolutely no reason
for the upgrade process to pretend it's a new system, try to guess up
everything from scratch, and force the use of a CD drive (a hardisk may
have been installed initially on a full system, then moved to a
CD/DVD/usb-less system)

--
Nicolas Mailhot