[RETRY #2] Web100 kernel patch on fedora stock kernels

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 23:17:45 UTC 2005

Angelo wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> Try netdev at oss.sgi.com. Fedora tracks the base kernel.
>>
> i'll try.. i hoped that it could be inserted in the long list of
> already added patches to the vanilla kernel
>
> regards,
> Angelo

If you look at the existing patches generally do not add new features
but contain bug fixes in order to fix the problem sooner and usually are
later merged into the upstream kernel. In general, working with the
upstream projects would mean that there is better integration, testing
and review within the projects and less deviation and maintenance issues
at the distribution level.  If the patch list in the kernel is long then
we need to work on fixing that rather than use it as a justification to
make it even worse.

regards
Rahul