Proposed Development Areas for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Project

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 19 19:36:11 UTC 2005

Alan Cox wrote:

>I hope so. Not because uncommon languages are any different to other
>uncommon packages but because many "uncommon language" areas are those where
>there is a lack of network connectivity and CD is king...

    Yeah,  but the size of the CD isn't the only thing.

    There is stuff that I like that comes in with the "everything
install" that doesn't seem to come in with the other configurations,
and it's not so clear to me how to select these things individually.
Even though "en-us" is the only language I select in the menus about
language support,  I get a lot of language packs that I'll never care
about,  input method daemons that waste tens of seconds at boot,  etc --
about a gigabyte of stuff that I couldn't care less about.

    1 GB on the hard drive may seem like small change in 2005,  but I
end up installing Linux in small places all the time.

    An option to not install unwanted language packs could be
particularly useful for people in the third world who need one language
pack but not a hundred others.