Supporting third party software in /usr/local

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 21 18:41:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:03 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:28:10 -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> > Have you checked that this one doesn't work on something recent? I have
> > dumped .desktop files in /usr/share/applications on several FC4
> > installations and they got picked up and added to the (Gnome) menu
> > (haven't checked KDE though).
>
> Yes of course /usr/share/applications works, the problem is that
> /usr/local/share/applications does not work, because the menu definitions
> don't list this as an <AppDir>. So it means any software installed to
> /usr/local such as things compiled from source don't get menu entries.

Boy, I should really learn to proofread better! I meant to say that I
had put desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications and it _does_
work on my systems, and I have not changed anything in the menu
definition files. (Only tested on FC4 though, I don't have anything
older around right now.)

My apologies for the confusion!

Per