kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp can't see my mptscsi controller...

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 17:25:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:38 -0600, Roe Peterson wrote:
> I hope this is the right list.  Apologies in advance if not;  anyway, here
> we go.

Probably better to file a bugzilla.

> I've just recently installed FC4 "everything" on a Dell Precision 650 w/
> dual xeons CPUS.  Everything worked perfectly running
> kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp.
>
> After running a complete "yum update" - and going through a few
> hoops to satisfy dependencies - kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp was
> installed.
>
> Unfortunately, the new kernel simply doesn't see my scsi controller.
>
> I've manually rebuilt the initrd for the kernel, and verified that the
> necessary modules are included (scsi, mptbase, mptscsi, etc).
>
> Before I start digging, I wonder if anyone has seen this yet;  if so,
> I'd really appreciate a pointer in the right direction.  If not, a
> pointer in the right direction would still be very nice :-)

I see the same thing on my HP xw9300 (viper).  As another datapoint,
it's a PCI-X device.  In older kernels, the PCI-X controller is the
second nVidia CK804 Memory Controller listed by "lspci", 01.0, and
normal pci is the first, 00.0.  With current kernels the second
controller doesn't show up at all, nor do any of the devices underneath
it.

--
  Peter