A new utility "System Control Center (system-config-control)" !

Dan Fruehauf danfr at matrix.co.il
Thu Oct 6 11:40:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 04:20 -0700, Ankit Patel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have tried to make one utility called
> "system-config-control" for Fedora. Downloads (RPM,
> SRPM, zipped source) and Snapshots are awailable on
> http://www.indianoss.org . Right now it's available in
> only one language (Gujarati-India).

It looks like a good idea indeed although it needs some UI work - I'd
like to see this in a form of a tree rather than tabs - but that's my
own personal taste.
However a very quick improvement that could be done is that
system-config-control will ask for a root password and all the other
utilities won't - that might simplify things for the end user.
I didn't have the time to go into the source code, but a question that
rises is - how modular is that utility? if we have a new system-config
utility - how much will we have to work in order to configure it to work
with system-config-control?
Perhaps we would also like to first probe which system-config utilities
are installed and then let the user choose only between them? - The end
user might be frightened to see a kickstart icon without knowing what is
it at all...

Otherwise - keep up the good work - as I previously said - it's a good
idea.

Regards,
Dan.