A new utility "System Control Center (system-config-control)" !

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 11:47:58 UTC 2005

Ankit Patel wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have tried to make one utility called
>"system-config-control" for Fedora. Downloads (RPM,
>SRPM, zipped source) and Snapshots are awailable on
>http://www.indianoss.org . Right now it's available in
>only one language (Gujarati-India).
>
>Downloads:
>RPM :-
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/indianoss/system-config-control-1.0-1.noarch.rpm?download
>SRPM :-
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/indianoss/system-config-control-1.0-1.src.rpm?download
>Source .bz2 :-
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/indianoss/system-config-control-1.0.tar.bz2?download
>
>Please try it out and give me some feedback on it.
>
>Thanks In Advance !

Just checked it out and a few comments. Looks like you are trying to
provide a centralized control panel which is a approach worth trying
out. You could rename the tool as system-config-controlpanel(/center)
to make this more obvious.  The categorization of tabs could be
improved. An icon list (Similar to Korganiser for example) instead of
tabs might be worth trying out as a mock up. A icon view can be provided
as a alternative.  The buttons needs to be spaced better.
System-config-logviewer is no longer including FC4 and above. Gnome
utils includes a logviewer which has been enabled in the development
tree instead.

Disable the buttons if the particular tools are not available. When
system-config-packages is rewritten on top of yum to understand
repositories it would be quite useful to call that with the appropriate
options to install the tools on demand. I would suggest including this
in Fedora Extras and propose them for core later if its found to be
useful and after the rest of the UI interactions and other wrinkles are
sorted out. Might consider getting the help of the design team for that

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraArt

regards
Rahul