[RETRY #2] Web100 kernel patch on fedora stock kernels

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:49:11 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Angelo <ang3l0 at katamail.com> wrote:
> Quoting myself from an year ago: (19 October 2004)
> Hi all,
> Linux TCP/IP protocol stack is well built but it lacks a bit in
> performance.
>
> To give you an idea, my box has a 10MBit connection to the internet, and
> if I try to transfer a file to a little lagged but high bandwidth host
> (50ms / 100MBit) this lack of optimization will begin showing.
>
> Even if my link will permit to transfer from this host at about
> 900-1000KB/s I will get only 600-650KB/s. Even using windows tuned to
> broadband connection I will get 900KB/s.
>
> This seems to be related to the tcp window scaling, and even if i try to
> tune the kernel related parameters (receive/send buffer) logging the
> traffic the tcp window seems to be left too small for this transfers.
>
> Web100 (www.web100.org) is a project that has solved this issue creating
> a patch that will tune every tcp/ip connection to get the best performance.
>
> I hope this patch will be inserted in the fedora stock kernels.
>
> Regards,
> Angelo
>
> In a year not a single reply.. i'm still hoping to get this in
>
> Any idea, comment, reason to disagree, something ?

Well the Fedora Core policy with kernels is that it needs to go
upstream to be included in the kernel.. so for something like this
you'd be better joining the linux network mailing list and getting
some feedback from them and getting it upstreamed via them. Once its
hits the main kernel it'll be in Fedora.

Pete