Bringing syslog-ng into the fold [FC6 ?]

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Oct 14 18:55:30 UTC 2005

From: "Elliot Lee" <sopwith at redhat.com>
> Because syslog-ng isn't the Right Solution(tm) for the general problem of
> event logging.

Also breaking binary compatibility for the sake of the Right Solution (TM)
might not be the best strategy in the world.

> For example, not breaking the API means there is no way to
> log anything more structured than a text string, which makes analyzing the
> logged events a lot more difficult.

It's not even clear that doing something more structured is such a good
idea to begin with. Modern efforts at logging APIs (log4j, Java Logger,
etc.) still do text only to this day, and that's fine.

This sounds to me as a case where incremental improvement is held
back for the sake of the Perfect Solution which, on second thought,
is not even clear that is that desirable :)

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.