avahi and howl

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Oct 15 03:27:37 UTC 2005

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:33:58PM -0600, Trever L. Adams wrote:
>

>>Is this something that RedHat/Fedora should follow Debian/Gaim on?
>>Sorry if this is purely political.
>>

>I'd rather we pushed Gaim into extras. Unfortunately however there seem
>to be a lack of secure sane im clients

That would only work if Gaim was the only thing using howl in Fedora
Core but there seems be a general trend towards moving away from howl to
avahi or providing it as a alternative with a abstraction layer in
several upstream projects and while we are talking about gaim, its worth
point out that Google has hired the lead Gaim developer to work on
Google Talk. Hopefully that has some positive effects on Gaim too.

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3556506

regards
Rahul