sysvinit replacement?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Oct 15 18:35:48 UTC 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 14:17, Shane Stixrud wrote:
> Is there any plan to replace sysvinit with a system like SMF (Service
> Management Framework) in Solaris?  Perhaps it is even possible to take SMF
> as is and integrate it into fedora without building our own or resurrecting
> DMD (http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/DMD.html) from the grave?

Why not just create something thats compatible with the Windows registry? ;)

We've been using 10 since it was in beta for several reasons and once you've
gotten past the "woohoo - new and shiny" phase, SMF is one of the worst
changes in Sol10.

The biggest issue with SMF is the state database. A single type on a service
file can corrupt your state database. So can interrupting a svcs command at
the wrong time. If that happens, good luck - you go back to the last saved
state and hope things still work. Of course if you installed software since
then you end up with a mess and...

Then the startup time gains are overrated... Log into your Sol10 box as soon
as its possible and run "format" - if your box survives that (some older ones
dont) then you'll see your format stall for a long time before you get your
output. In the end, if you measure the time from push of the power button
(assuming a reasonable diag level) to the time you logged in and got your
format output there is barely any difference between Sol9 and Sol10. Same
holds true for printing or a JES webserver request.

Other problems are that you're trading a well known, well debugged system
against something noone knows and that has virtually no tools to troubleshoot
at the moment. You also make it much harder for anyone to port software to
your Linux flavor.

SMF is in my opinion one of the biggest technical mistakes sun has made in the
recent history - would be a shame if Fedora followed such a bad example.

Peter.