avahi and howl

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:35:12 UTC 2005

> > On 10/13/05, Trever L. Adams <tadams-lists at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > > Is this something that RedHat/Fedora should follow Debian/Gaim on?
> >
> > As soon as programs in Core require it I'm sure that its going to get
> > sucked in to Core.
> >
> > The more important question is... now that gaim is going to use
> > avahi... what else in Fedora Core requires howl..and can those other
> > items be made to use avahi as well?
> > It would be best if howl could be replaced completely in Core with
> > avahi to avoid duplication of functionality with multuple
> > implementations.
> >
> > rawhide>repoquery --whatrequires libhowl.so.0
> > gnome-games-1:2.12.1-1.i386  in Core
> > gnomemeeting-0:1.2.2-2.i386  in Core
> > gnome-vfs2-0:2.12.1.1-1.i386 in Core
> > obby-0:0.2.0-5.fc5.i386 in Extras
>
> I'll try to find some time to port gnome-vfs2. I think it makes sense to
> switch to Avahi.

According to this blog entry
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat the avahi guys have
created a compatibility layer for howl/bonjour that runs with
gnome-vfs2, nautilus etc. so we should be able to replace howl with
the soon to be released 0.6 of avahi while everything gets ported to
native avahi.

Pete