Stateless Linux Update?

Carlos Knowlton cknowlton at science.edu
Wed Oct 19 13:29:35 UTC 2005

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

>tir, 18.10.2005 kl. 23.27 skrev Stephen J. Smoogen:
>

>>On 10/18/05, Jake Thompson <jatsrt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>> I am wondering if there are any developers out there that can sound off on
>>>the state of the stateless linux project. It would be a perfect solution for
>>>what I am doing, but since it seems dead in the water, I am hesitant to move
>>>forward.
>>>

>>Basically it is dead in the water, because every 2-3 months a couple
>>of people say "It is perfect for what I am doing.. but it seems dead
>>in the water." No one seems to have the time to go into it and yanks
>>its guts out and rewrite. Me included :(.
>>

>Could Fedora Directory server help it, make it easier to admin, etc?
>
>Kyrre

That may be the piece that Stateless needs.  My diskless lab is
more-or-less based on a mix of stateless and older remote boot
solutions.  The main problem I had with Stateless was the steep learning
curve of the LDAP user management, and the lack of a good intuitive user
interface for it.  If Fedora Directory server has the kind of UI
simplicity that Active Directory does, it may be the perfect fit for
Stateless.

While we're talking about reworking Stateless, another feature that
would be cool, would be some elegant integration of Unionfs
(unionfs.org) either in addition to, or in exchange for the current
"Read-only root" system.  Knoppix and other LiveCDs are now using this,
and it has made them much more usable, since it provides read-write
emulation of large portions of the read-only filesystem.

Regards,
Carlos