FCNewInit and power management

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 17:58:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 02:45:00AM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Run levels are states the system can be in. In addition to the existing
> "halt" "reboot" "single user" "no network" and "normal" states, there is
> "on battery" and "suspended" states just begging to be added. (I'm not
> sure the best way to handle slightly different types of similar states.
> We could possibly have a "battery low" state and we have "standby"
> "suspend to ram" and "suspend to disk" to choose from. Do they full run
> levels of their own? I'm guessing not...)

Agree entirely - and one reason I do so is having done similar things years
ago with a notifier setup (not init in this case). I'm dubious it belongs in
init but it belongs somewhere./

The core tool that was used was Make originally (make <event> handling the
rules and dependancies)

	make new-ip-address

	new-ip-address: rebuild-nis restart-sendmail

	restart-sendmail:
			service sendmail restart

etc

Not sure it is the right way to do it (its hard to get it right adding
scripts unlike the make model).

There are many other system interesting events

	first login		[suspend batch work/adjust xen prio]
	last user logged out	[resume batch work/adjust xen prio]
	network found
	network lost
	laptop docked
	laptop undocked

etc

that affect more than just the logged in user