libsigc++ (was: Re: rawhide report: 20051019 changes)

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Oct 20 10:43:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:27:05 -0700, Denis Leroy wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:14:10 -0400, Build System wrote:
> >

> >>New package libsigc++
> >>	The Typesafe Signal Framework for C++.
> >

> >>* Wed Oct 19 2005 Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> 2.0.16-1
> >>- the return of libsigc++
> >>
> >>* Wed Jan 09 2002 Tim Powers <timp at redhat.com>
> >>- automated rebuild
> >

> > Ouch! :(
> >
> > Please note that it has been part of Fedora Extras for a long time.
> > We don't ignore Fedora Extras, do we?
>
> Yes, this is unfortunate. Also, it would not be a good idea to have
> libsigc++ in core and gtkmm in extras. I think you really want the same
> person to be maintaining those, and they need to be upgraded at the same
> time.
>
> Was there a specific reason to add it to core ?
>
> -denis, sigC++/gtkmm extras maintainer

Adding to that, the package currently conflicts with libsigc++20 from
Extras since it upgrades the older one for the older API, which we've kept
as libsigc++.

It is based on an old package from Red Hat Linux, which has flaws. It owns
/usr/share/doc, contains libsigc-2.0.so in the wrong package, contains
duplicates of the %doc files from the main package in the -devel package,
should require pkgconfig in the -devel package, and moves the html docs to
a different directory.

A copy of the GPL ought to be included also in the Extras package, btw.