Supporting third party software in /usr/local

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 21 01:28:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:32 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
>  * /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu doesn't merge
>    /usr/local/share/applications   [bug #117671]

Have you checked that this one doesn't work on something recent? I have
dumped .desktop files in /usr/share/applications on several FC4
installations and they got picked up and added to the (Gnome) menu
(haven't checked KDE though).

Looking at /etc/xdg/menus/aplications I'd assume that it's the
<DefaultAppDirs/> line that does it (note that there is actually no
entry for /usr/share/applications either!) I can't find where the
defaults come from at the moment, perhaps they're hardcoded in the
panel?

/Per