Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems (was: re: /usr/local)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Oct 21 15:52:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:25:39 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> If we can't hold up the LSB, which prefers rpms, then exactly what
> standard are you trying to apply?

Well, LSB RPMs don't bear much resemblance to Fedora RPMs. They aren't
allowed any dependencies, for one. For another, Fedora RPMs can't be
installed (reliably) on non-Fedora systems, or on versions of Fedora other
than the one they were built for.

So sure, you could say "RPM is the standard, the LSB says so", but that
doesn't make the Fedora-custom flavours of it standard. It makes the LSB
flavour standard.

And for what it's worth, last time I asked the LSB guys how many LSB RPMs
were "in the wild", the answer was perhaps two or three. So it's more a
de-jure standard than a de-facto standard.

thanks -mike