SquashFS?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 20:24:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 19:33 +0100, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 08:20:00PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > We're working on a kernel-module-standard for fedora-extras. I can
> > package unionfs and SqashFS then if that would be enough for the LiveCD.
> > But there might be a small problem with SqashFS and the initrd:
>
> A kernel-module-standard is a necessity for fedora-extras but not for
> unionfs/squashfs, IMO. They're small, and can be compiled on-the-fly,
> when creating the live cd iso.

This is a non-starter.  Allowing compilation of stuff adds far too much
of a "random" element with regards to what's on the system.

> And I don't think the lack of support for a "squashed" initrd is a
> problem. I believe initramfs works much better for livecds, anyway. :)

But you need to get the squashfs module into the initrd[1].

Jeremy

[1] Using initrd as a generic term for either initrd or initramfs.  Note
that Core has been using initramfs by default since FC3... this is one
of the reasons why I say that the changes for live CD at an
infrastructure level need to be better integrated.  Peter has made some
changes in mkinitrd which will help make this easier and I have the
start of the changes for kadischi, but I probably won't get back to
finishing them up until after test1