Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 18:30:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:43:10AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

 > I would like to see a patch like this upstream.  I'm not sure how to
 > convince Len Brown to let it in.
 >
 > I don't think putting it in Fedora is necessarily a bad idea, but it
 > is not a slam dunk either (based on support concerns as pointed-out
 > elsewhere).

The Intel folks have refused to merge it upstream as they'd rather
fix the interpretor to work around broken tables.  Some other vendors
are also very helpful in the "Whack BIOS vendor on the head" dept
when bad tables get reported to them.

If Fedora carried such a patch, we could forget all about ever
looking at fixing ACPI bugs that get reported, as I can guarantee
we'd get reports that conveniently 'forgot' to mention they've hacked
their DSDT in wierd and wonderful ways.

The ability to screw up AML is hurrendously easy, and the number of
wannabe AML hackers frankly, scares me witless.  A lot of folk seem
to think that things are as simple as ..

- disassemble DSDT
- fix up warnings from AML compiler
- put DSDT into initrd.

This is *wrong* on so many levels.  For one, even if it does fix
the problems the user was seeing, how does it help the next user
that hits the problem on the same hardware ?  We can't expect
every user to have to patch their DSDT.  The correct answer
is "Fix the BIOS", or where that isn't feasible "Work around
it in the interpretor" (Especially if its a widespread problem).

		Dave