Problems installing rawhide and reporting thereof

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Wed Oct 26 07:24:03 UTC 2005

I understand the guts of Anaconda are changing to use yum and that it is
being actively worked on. Given that, are bug reports useful/wanted?

I tried installing Oct 25th rawhide on my Thinkpad T42p using the
images/boot.iso and a NFS shared rawhide tree.

I noticed two problems:

1. X failed to start (all three attempts) with the following error in
the various X.log files:

[snip]
Synaptics no synaptics event device found (checked 10 nodes)
Synaptics The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) Synaptics no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Synaptics Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics"
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices
[snip]

I tried plugging in a usb mouse, but the same error still happened.

2. Skipping X and trying either a VNC or text mode install quickly
resulted in failure with a python traceback in yum code, I think it was
the "MDrepo" class or something close to that.

-------

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs