Problems installing rawhide and reporting thereof

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 13:53:20 UTC 2005

> I understand the guts of Anaconda are changing to use yum and that it is
> being actively worked on. Given that, are bug reports useful/wanted?

Yes, bug reports are still useful as long as they're not about how group
selection is busted.  That's what is seeing the active work right now.

> 1. X failed to start (all three attempts) with the following error in
> the various X.log files:
>
> [snip]
> Synaptics no synaptics event device found (checked 10 nodes)
> Synaptics The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
> Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
> (EE) Synaptics no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
> (EE) Synaptics Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics"
> No core pointer
>
> Fatal server error:
> failed to initialize core devices
> [snip]
>
> I tried plugging in a usb mouse, but the same error still happened.

I fixed this on 10/14 and we did a build later that day, so it should be
fine.  On a test machine here, I see /dev/input/event{0-3} being
created.  After X fails, can you switch over to tty2 and check that
those exist?

> 2. Skipping X and trying either a VNC or text mode install quickly
> resulted in failure with a python traceback in yum code, I think it was
> the "MDrepo" class or something close to that.

This should have been fixed within the past couple days, too.  Are you
sure you are using a 10/25 tree?

- Chris