libusual and ub

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Oct 30 22:47:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 07:35:44PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> The problem it is trying to address is to have fewer oopses and/or lockups
> related to the usb-storage. I have to say, I do not see all that many
> these days, but when they do happen, it always happens as if on purpose
> to break our schedule.

The only oopses I've seen for a very long time in usb-storage are those that
came from lower level USB

> with it. We are in Rawhide, and just coming up to Test 1, after all.
> I reckoned it appropriate to give a kind of technology preview.

I'd oppose changing. usb-storage finally works and changing it for something like
ub which does not have the Fedora exposure or upstream exposure seems the wrong thing
to do.

Having the ability to switch over itself to ub if something doesn't work might be
useful but lets face it the remaining big problems with usb storage are

o	The core block code can't handle EOF and the maintainer refuses to even
	answer my email on the subject.

o	A few early cards have 256byte sectors and Linux scsi has never supported
	this.

Alan