No USB with 1555 kernel

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Fri Sep 16 13:17:48 UTC 2005

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

>Hi.
>
>Before filing a bug I'd like to ask if anyone else sees this.
>
>I brought my iBook up to speed with Rawhide yesterday, pulling in the
>1555 kernel. The system boots fine, but USB seems to be hosed. The
>OHCI driver is loaded, the USB file system is mounted, but inserting
>devices does not cause hotplug events, and the /proc/bus/usb
>directory is empty.

My USB printer is OK for local printing, but  my digital camera hasn't
worked for months now.
The scripts in  /etc/hotplug are not getting run to set the permissions
properly.
(Bugzilla 150985 has been open since March, 165914 since August.)

I have never been able to get any USB webcam to function.  Good luck finding
any accurate HOWTOs to solve that!

Nautilus no longer recognizes when a CD is inserted.
Can't tell you when this stopped working, but I needed it last night and
it didn't work.

Cups printer sharing of a local printer doesn't work.   I need to
investigate this more but I
suspect some kind of overzealous security feature...   (Bugzilla 166446)

IMO, recent Rawhides are a mess!
Its probably because of a lot of churn in core software is leaving lots
of breakage in the applications,
but now it needs some focus on the various config and security scripts
to make the day-to-day features
that people need start to work again.

John