Debugging a system hang.

Jeff MacDonald jam at zoidtechnologies.com
Fri Sep 2 04:11:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 12:29 +0900, Naoki wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was asking this back over on fedora-list but had no responses.

how long did you wait for a response?

> How do I debug a hung system?  My box doesn't (ibm e326 with FC4,
> x86_64) actually panic and crash so lkcd is of no use(?) kgdb? How about
> magic sys key ?
>
> I can reliably make it hang to a point where the only working operations
> I can see are a blinking cursor and replies to ping packets.

ok. what do you do to "reliably make it hang"? what application(s) do
you run to cause this state of the machine? do you have any
"proprietary" kernel modules installed? what exact version of the kernel
are you running? does the machine hang immediately after boot, or do you
have to "try" and make it hang? how old is the machine? are there
environmental factors that might be causing this issue? have you run
"memtest86" on the box (though that might not work on 64-bit)?

I wish you luck. hopefully someone with the appropriate skills and
resources can assist you. you might also consider contacting the
manufacturer of the machine and see if they are aware of any issues.

regards,