Suitability for trying to get a floppy based install instructions into fc5 release notes?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Sep 2 19:24:11 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 02.09.2005, 14:58 -0400 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
> Using  http://www.bhamu.net/index.php/2005/06/15/fedora-core-4-floppy-disk-install/
> as a reference, is it suitable and feasible to try to make a similar
> solution for fc5 available under the "official" fedora project
> umbrella?

Sound quite complicated; In such a case I would do the following to get
the install started (warning, untested for some time, but should work
iirc)

- create a partition (name it hda1 in this example) that you want to use
for linux later and format it with fat/fat32  (note: you can also use a
random fat-partition and skip format)
- copy initrd.img vmlinuz to it
- on a random linux-system create a grub boot-floppy with
cat /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat/stage? > /dev/fd0
(can this be done in windows/dos somehow?)
- start from this floppy-disk
- at the grub-prompt type:
root (hd0,0)
kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd.img
boot
- install fedora (you can reformat or delete hda1 now if you wish)

Or did i missing anything important here?