Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 12:57:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:22:36PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 07:26 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >
> > > Current Rawhide kernels are broken. See Dave's earlier email to the list :
> >
> >   Can't basic bootup of kernels on i386 uniproc machine be tested before
> > pushed to rawhide, channels, mirrors and users ?
>
> This kernel has only been half broken.  For many it has been working,
> for others it hasn't.

  So I'm just being unlucky there ? that's possible, 2.6.13-1.1542_FC5
fixes it as I tested which is a good point.

> Dave's had a little difficulty rebasing to 2.6.13, but given the amount
> of effort he puts in I wouldn't even think of blaming him for not
> testing the kernel on all the different possibilities.

  I though the problem was more common. Testing all possibilities sure
can't be done ahead, that would be a radical change of model.

> In the past four or five days, we've had the first three 'broken'
> kernels of the rawhide series.  You've unfortunately just hit a rough
> patch.

  okay, I'm being unlucky ... but running i686 on a dell laptop doesn't
sounds like a setup which should expose weird cornercase behaviour :-)

Daniel