Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 13:46:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:34:30AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Though at this point, I'm not sure its fair to single out x86 as
> special anymore.

  well it's somewhat more common, a bit cheaper and I assume the most
used arch.

> If a kernel boots on ppc and x86_64 systems but
> doesnt boot on x86, I'm not sure its appropriate to hold back that
> kernel. But thats a policy decision, that comes after there is
> hardware to do the regression testing with appears.

  I didn't tried to raise any policy at this level. I though the
problem was common possibly arch independant, apparently I was just
unlucky and overgeneralized. Still automated checks ahead based on a
live boot of kernels would be great IMHO.

> anaconda is going through what I would call major surgery.  Its not so
> much about trying to fix it daily... its more about making sure it
> works by test1 release.  If memory serves the anaconda development
> that is going on was one of the reasons why the fc5 schedule is what
> it is...to make room in part to get anaconda retooled. I don't
> remember there being a promise to anyone to make day-to-day rawhide
> installability a high priority. There is a target that the anaconda
> devs are shooting for, fc5test1.  Are you suggesting they maintain a
> dead-end branch of anaconda in rawhide while working on the new
> version somewhere else?

  That would make sense to me. Like we don't push intermediate broken
CVS state for all the other packages. I'm not sure it would need to
be "maintained" in much of the usual sense. Just keep a working one
around.

Daniel